Wednesday 6 May 2009

A Virtual Learning Environment

I can't believe how long it is since I posted a blog on here. I really have to get better at archiving my thoughts - now there is something worth writing about.
Recently I have been thinking about starting up a theory reading group, one that focuses on certain topics each semester, for example, it could start with looking at how and what we archive in the modern world and what that does to us as humanities researchers. I am based at the University of Teesside, and at the moment my department does not have any regular research seminars or any discussion groups set up. It was something I was looking forward to being part of while I was a PhD student and I am slightly disappointed that these structures are not already in place.

Because of this, I am thinking about setting up a theory reading group and have been inspired by some fellow twitterers' to think about the possibility of a virtual as well as an actual reading group.

The idea is that a space, perhaps a wikispace, will be set up and anyone who wants to be part of the group could then have access to this space - it would become a virtual classroom where we could discuss texts week by week and develop any theories that we may have. The commitment level would be down to the individual although we would need a core group to regularly contribute to the site to make this work, and the only time commitment would be a weekly deadline in which you would make your comments on the particular chapter we were discussing.

I like the idea that people could write a blog post on the topic and then link their blog to the 'virtual space' which would provide us all with more opportunity to comment on thoughts and have more space for these thoughts. I also like the idea that unlike a discussion group where unless you take detailed notes thoughts can be forgotten, this would archive our ideas and discussions in a searchable and collaborative way. It allows us to open up the world of thought and idea (the sometimes very closed world of the academic) to others that we may previously not been able to have access to. It removes the time/space boundary for all concerned with people all over the world able to come together and talk about something they have a shared interest in.

This is, at the moment, still in an embryonic stage. I am still interested in having the 'real thing' based at the university, but envisage that the virtual environment will be more engaging and grow much more rapidly than anything I can run in a small department.

Texts, attendees, the virtual space and discussion themes are all still to be decided so any comments or ideas that anyone has would be welcomed, as well as anyone who thinks they might be interested in being part of the core group that could start this off. As a starter, and really because I am interested in reading these people and in some cases have never turned a page of their books I would suggest thinking about:

  • Derrida: Archive Fever, Echographies of Television, Of Grammatology (to name a few!)
  • Zizek
  • Bauman: Liquid Times; Wasted Lives
  • Foucault: Discipline and Punish; The Archaeology of Knowledge
  • Hillis Miller - he has a couple of new books out this year that look very interesting

I am sure there are many more. These are just a starting point and ones that I think would make for interesting discussion if the topic remains focussed on the archive in the modern world. Please feel free to add more to this list or question some of the choices if you are interested.

6 comments:

  1. I'd be interested - though I've not turned many of those pages either, other than Zizek. My approach is that of someone working practically in community archiving but I am talking at walls here on the theory, so it would be wonderful to have some interaction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi...I would be interested, too!

    I'm not sure a wikispace would be the best place, though I haven't really used that particular platform much. But wikis are good ways to build stores of info, more than they are good for discussions.

    What about Ning? They have discussion board type things, plus other features.

    Or even more basic, how about just starting a blog for this? It wouldn't really even have to be anything fancy, just the ability for people to have discussions.

    Any of the proposed choices would be great for me. I've read Foucault's D&P only out of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carlo: Glad you are interested, I am getting quite excited at the prospect of this actually happening now (how sad!) I think it will be a really good forum. I just wanted to respond to a couple of your points.
    Blog: I thought about this, but decided that it would be too linear and would be controlled by one person, and I wanted something that everyone could have open access to. I also thought that most people who will be interested in this will have blogs, and by using wiki we can simply link to pages that already exist.
    I looked at Ning, but am not sure it is right for what we want.
    The idea of the wiki page is that (as I understand it) everyone will have editing rights, there will be space to write up what you thought about the chapter/book/article, we will be able to put PDFs up on the site for everyone to download and read if that is a possibility and there is the ability to link to other webpages/blogs from there.
    You are right, wikis are more an information gathering platform, but I think there is the possibility for 'chat' type discussions, and because most of the people joining this group are from all over the world and therefore in different time zones, getting together at the same time will be quite tricky anyway - so I thought it probably needed to be more text based and not time bound to discussions.
    It might be that we have a wiki page and a blog page that we can all access - the blog could then link to the wiki page where all the other information can be stored. I am just rambling now! but actually that makes alot of sense.
    I am going to investigate wiki pages this weekend, so will post something on here once I have more of an idea.

    What does all that sound like to you? and how soon would you be interested in starting this group? I was thinking it would be good to get it up and running by the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you tried Moodle? It allows everyone to have a blog, but also to comment on certain topics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have studied under learning theorist Joseph F Rychlak, author of Logical Learning Theory. I have been looking for ways to apply what I know ... perhaps this forum would be a vehicle in which I could contribute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ive been doing some online training courses in which I bump to your blog and thank you for a great reference.

    ReplyDelete